In 2009, our first youth duathlon took place and was a hit! In 2014, we made the plunge into the water for our first Youth Triathlon. It is now a permanent part of our race line-up, making the Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival truly a family weekend! Kids can participate in the Deuces Wild Youth Tri and enjoy racing in the pines, just like their parents!
We are now part of the USAT West Region Youth Triathlon Championship Series! This means that we are extending our ages up to 15, and kids ages 7-15 will be eligible to receive points towards becoming a USAT West Region Champion. Here are the details:
- Do 2 or more USAT sanctioned youth races in the series to be eligible for series awards
- Top 3 places per age group per gender (7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-15) will receive additional points as follows: 1st - 3 points; 2nd - 2 points; 3rd - 1 point
- Youth Regional Championship Race will earn 2 additional points, for each of the Top 3 places, in each above age group
- Point standings in each age group will be posted after each series race.
- Top 3 highest total series point winners in each male and female age group are USAT West Region Youth Champions
- Awards will be given after the series standings are finalized. Please be sure your current mailing address is updated on your child’s USAT membership profile so it can be sent to the correct location.
|Hawaii Youth Winter Tri||1/7/18||Kailua, HI|
|San Diego Kids & Family Splash & Dash||3/24/18||San Diego, CA|
|Firebolt Youth Tri||4/7/18||Sierra Vista, AZ|
|Hawaii Youth & Jr. Spring Tri||4/15/18||Kailua, HI|
|Heart of the Valley Kids Tri||4/29/18||Corvallis, OR|
|Spring Sprint Triathlon (Youth Regional Championship)||5/6/18||San Diego, CA|
|Deuces Wild Youth Tri||6/9/18||Show Low, AZ|
|Silicon Valley Kids Triathlon||6/10/18||Cupertino, CA|
|Tri for Kids||6/10/18||Rancho Seco, CA|
|Menlo Park Kids Triathlon||7/7/18||Menlo Park, CA|
|I CAN TRI Triathlon||7/15/18||Fresno, CA|
|Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove||7/21/18||Cottage Grove, OR|
*Participation points only, no age group placing
Age Groups and Distances
Registration fee includes
• athlete entry
• race T-shirt
• post-race refreshments
• swim cap
• finisher medal
• goody bag
• timing chip with splits
USAT Age Requirements
Children's ages will be determined based on their age on December 31, so they may be in an older age group than the age they are on race day.
This event is USAT sanctioned and will therefore follow USAT Competitive Rules. Those include but are not limited to:
- Each athlete must be USAT Insured – see next section for more details
- Athletes will race according to their age as of December 31st that year
- No flotation devices of any kind are permitted during the swim
- All athletes must wear a helmet approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission during the bike portion. No time trial or "aero" helmets allowed
- Helmets must be fastened before mounting the bicycle and remain fastened until the participant has completely dismounted; NO Aero helmets are allowed.
- Aero bars, disk wheels and/or solid wheel cover are NOT permitted
- Cyclists must ride in safe manner, which includes riding in the right lane, keeping two bike lengths between the person in front of them, and passing on the left only
Top 3 Overall Boys AND Girls in each age group:
5-6 • 7-8 • 9-10 • 11-12 • 13-15
The Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival includes Long Course, Olympic, and XTERRA triathlon events, as well as a Youth triathlon, so it truly is a family event! The White Mountains offer a cool reprieve from the hotter temperatures experienced in other parts of Arizona, and showcase some breathtaking scenery throughout the courses. Need more reasons to come race with us? 100% of proceeds from the events go to charity, and we are also a green event! All races will be sanctioned by USAT and are made possible with the cooperation of Arizona State Parks, AZ Game & Fish, the City of Show Low, the US Forest Service and ADOT. The event is conducted on the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests.